We are all the time behind really exciting challenges, through sport fishing in the beautiful scenery that is the Amazon Region. There is nothing fairer than sharing our tips with you, who are also passionate about the sport.
The baits that cannot be missing in your gear
- Propellers from 12cm to 16cm, in the colors bone, white with red head, Halloween and with shades of red, yellow and green. Kalua tested and recommends High Roller, Pancada and Klures baits.
- Zaras from 10cm to 14cm, in bone colors, white with red head, fire tiger and chrome. Kalua tested and recommends Jumping Minnow T20, Zig Zara 110, Bonnie 128.
- Sticks from 10cm to 14cm, in bone colors, white with red head, fire tiger, chrome and with red, yellow and green tones. Kalua tested and recommends Sará Sará 100 and 120 and Red Pepper 110.
- Poppers from 9cm to 14cm, in bone colors, white with red head and with shades of red, yellow and green. Kalua tested and recommends the Ram 90, Stick 90 and Pop Queen 105.
- Baits from 9cm to 14cm in bone colors, white with red head and with shades of red, yellow, orange and green. Kalua tested and recommends the Curisco 90 and 110, Perversa 10 and Subwalk 9.
- Baits from 9cm to 14cm in bone colors, white with red head and with shades of red, yellow, orange and green.
- Jigs from 14g to 20g of different colors and combined between white, yellow, red, black and pink. Kalua offers jigs for sale at market prices.
For casting fishing
- Fast and extra-fast rods, from 20lbs to 25 lbs, with sizes between 5’6 (1m70cm) to 6’6 (2m) length
- Low profile baitcast reels with at least 80 meters of 50lbs to 65lbs braided line and reel with gear ratio of at least 7.0:1
- Spinning reels of sizes from 2.000 to 4.000 with at least 80 meters of 50lbs to 65lbs braided line.
- Reinforced rings, treble hooks and snaps (between 90lbs and 110lbs)
For pirararas and piraíbas fishing
- Medium and fast action rods, from 60lbs to 120lbs, with sizes between 5’6 (1m70cm) to 6’6 (2m) length
- Round baitcast reels with at least 150 meters of 80lbs to 100lbs braided line or 0,70mm to 1,0mm monofilament line.
- Spinning reels of sizes 5.000 with at least 150 meters of 80lbs to 100lbs braided line or 0,70mm to 1,0mm monofilament line.
- 8/0 to 12/0 circle hooks.
- Wire leaders of at least 100lbs
- Fishing lead weight will be supplied at Kalua at market price.
- 8, 9 or 10 Rods
- Good quality 8, 9 or 10 Fly Reels, baby tarpon and pomfret
- Lines from 8 to 10 of floating, intermediate and sinking types, to fish in three water layers.
- Most indicated lures: poppers and streamers.
Other important tips
You have planned so much and are so anxious for the trip that it is worth wasting just a few minutes to make a check list. Before heading to the airport, make sure you are taking everything you need.
- Passport or ID document with photo
- Permanence visa (for foreigners)
- Air tickets with itinerary
- Money in cash, debit and credit cards
- Insect repellent
- Sunblock or sunscreen (SPF 50 and upwards)
- Personal medication (make a list of your medications in order to not forget them)
- Yellow fever vaccine (take up to 10 days before travel)
- Waterproof bag for storing belongings
- Polarized sunglasses (take reserve glasses)
- Cap or hat (take reserve ones)
- Tube neck (buff) (2)
- Long sleeve fishing shirt (2)
- Pants for fishing (2)
- Fishing shoes (2)
- Comfortable shirt to wear on the boat (2)
- Comfortable pants or bermuda shorts to wear on the boat (2)
- Undershorts or panties and bras
- Swimwear or bikini/swimsuit
- Tennis shoes or sandals to wear on the boat
- Camera and/or camcorder (with everything you need to work: chargers, spare batteries, memory cards)
- Large garbage plastic bag (to store the fishing bag in case of rain)